Seaport: Bremerhaven, Germany
Bremerhaven / Bremen
Germany 3 and 5 Mark 1927 Commemoratives. The coins displayed here Commemorate 100 years of Bremerhaven. Dated 1927, They both depict a 19th Century three masted clipper ship, obverse is the coat of arms in. These Specimens are of Museum quality, and are the finest ever encapsulated by PCGS.
The Five Mark was Struck with 25 grams of silver at the Berlin Mint (Mint Mark A), It has a mintage of 50,000 pcs. The issue would have had to survive World War II. How many were struck in proof condition is unknown at this time. The Three Mark coin has 15 gr. silver with a low mintage of 150,000
The German Weimar Republic Republic 1919-1933 At the end of the Franco-Prussian War the various German states formed the German Empire with the King of Prussia becoming the German Emperor (Kaiser). From the beginning the new Germany nursed plans of world domination which failed in two World Wars. From 1919 to 1933 the Germans had a republic which was not destined for survival. The disastrous inflation of 1919-1923 wiped out the savings of millions of Germans. During its short life the Weimar Republic issued some handsome commemorative coins which for the most part were refreshingly free of nationalistic themes.
The earliest settlement (called Breme or Bremum) on the right bank east side of the Weser estuary, on both banks of the Geest River, at its junction with Weser, was an advantageous position of important early trading routes from the Rhine River to the Elbe and from the North Sea to southern Germany.
In 787 Charlemagne, the Western (Holy Roman) emperor, established the diocese of Bremen (to become an archbishopric in 845), which became the base for missionary activity covering the whole of northern Europe. The market rights--including customs and coinage--that were conferred on Bremen in 965 brought increased mercantile activity, and the young city soon became one of the commanding religious and economic centers of northern Germany, especially after entering the Hanseatic League--an economic and political association of the rising urban mercantile class--in 1358.
The imperial free city, as Bremen became known, became a municipality by the amalgamation of three separate towns: Bremerhaven, founded (1827) as a port for Bremen by its burgomaster, Johann Smidt, on territory ceded by Hanover; Geestemïnde, founded by Hanover in competition in 1845; and Lehe, a borough dating from medieval times that attained town status in 1920. The union of Lehe and Geestemïnde in 1924 formed the town of Wesermünde, which in turn absorbed Bremerhaven in 1939, under Hanoverian jurisdiction. This unified city, restored to Bremen in 1947, was thereafter known by the name of Bremerhaven.
But the area always occupying a strongly fortified position on either side of the Weser, defended its independence in the Thirty Years' War (1618-48) and later repelled both Swedish and Hanoverian aggression. As an autonomous republic--the oldest in Germany--it joined the German Confederation in 1815 and the reconstituted German Empire in 1871. It attained increasing economic importance as a leader in international trade and world shipping by entering the German customs union (Zollverein) in 1888, through expanding its port facilities, and by developing manufacturing industry.
The city of the late 20th century is an interesting amalgam of medieval and modern architecture. The outstanding features in the Altstadt, or Old Town, in the restored heart of the city, are the famous marketplace with its 11th-century cathedral; the Gothic Town Hall with its Renaissance facade; the statue of Roland (1404), symbolizing market rights and imperial jurisdiction; a picturesque row of old, gabled houses; and the modern-style Parliament. Districts heavily bombed in World War II (69 percent of the houses were destroyed) have since been rebuilt, allowing for growing traffic and extensive public parks. About 3 miles from the city center, the modern satellite town of Neue Vahr, built between 1957 and 1962, is one of a ring of peripheral settlements that have coalesced with the expanding and dynamic city.
Repeated cessions of Prussian territory expanded the docks after the opening of the "Old Harbour" in 1830, and Bremerhaven developed as Germany's largest fishing port. After 1857, as headquarters of the North German Lloyd Shipping Company (Norddeutsche Lloyd), it became the largest passenger port, with its Columbus Quay and Columbus Station dealing with transatlantic traffic.
Most freight traffic was diverted to Bremen after improvements to the Weser Channel (1883-94). Although heavy damage in World War II demolished the city center, the docks were substantially unimpaired and there remained a thriving flow of goods such as oak barrels and other such freight. The construction of the Columbus-Center in 1971 revitalized the commercial functions of the city center. Industry is based primarily on fishing (fish processing and the manufacture of cans, barrels, and nets), and shipbuilding. The proportion of trade (by weight) from German harbours to foreign ports decreased from 43 percent in 1950 to 27 percent in 1985. The Weser ports (Bremen, Bremerhaven) are second to that of Germany's major port, Hamburg, in both total tonnage and containers handled, and has an important general cargo trade.
The Weser ports, have the advantage of being able to trans ship heavy goods to the interior by waterway, Rotterdam and other ports are far more significant in this respect, being located at the mouth of the great Rhine waterway as well as closer to the Rhine-Ruhr area than the northern German ports. Because the Elbe River leads to the port of Hamburg in what was West Germany and the Oder River to Szczecin (Stettin) in Poland, East Germany developed a new deep-sea port at Rostock, which was served by motorway and rail but had no waterway link. Ferries for passengers, road vehicles, or rail wagons link Germany with Scandinavian destinations.
The Hanseatic League was a loose confederation of north German cities. It grew out of trade associations that had begun to develop in the late 1100's. The weakness of the imperial power in Germany made it necessary for these cities to band together for common protection of their interests.
The Hanseatic League, or Hansa, seems to have resulted from two earlier confederations that were grouped around the cities of Cologne and Lubeck. By the middle 1300's, the members of the Hansa included almost all the larger German towns along the North and Baltic seas.
The league had no formal constitution. Its only governing body was a congress made up of merchants from the various cities. The congress usually met at Lubeck. The main weapons of the league were commercial boycott and commercial monopoly. If a town refused to join the league, the merchants of the town would be unable to sell their goods in profitable markets. One of the greatest contributions of the Hanseatic League was the system of maritime and commercial laws that it developed.
The Hanseatic League gained control of the fur trade with Russia, the fish trade with Norway and Sweden, and the wool trade with Flanders. In 1370, the Danish king tried to break the league's power by closing the Sound. A Hanseatic fleet seized Copenhagen and imposed severe peace terms on Denmark. After 1370, the league gradually declined in importance because of economic competition from other countries and the growing power of neighboring German states. The last meeting of the league's congress took place in 1669.
Navigate your own Course:
Past K.I.A.C. Spotlight's: